If you want to fight zombies who deal 20 dmg in one hit, you should play
campaign. The point of Versus mode is that you're playing against other
players, not the computer controlled infected.
And if you want players to play at the difficulty THEY want, you
probably wouldn't have changed the config to force it to a certain
difficulty to begin with.