In my opinion, I think Left 4 Dead is being 'locked down' because of all the
problems that appeared during the last year with TF2.  It became nearly
impossible to find a plain Jane vanilla TF2 server.  It's like every single
one of them had some mod installed that changed gameplay.  I'm not against
the modding community, though I'd like to just be able to play the game as
it was intended.  I feel that Valve and it's playtesters know a bit more
about what makes a game fun than Joe Blow modder...so I'd like to see what
Valve has to offer and not what 32-man, insta-spawn, fast ubercharge, longer
spawn for non-clan members, less damage for non-clan members, etc. server op
has to offer.

Left 4 Dead is quickly becoming what TF2 became.  A different game.  Last
night I was on a versus server that spawned a Tank ~1 minute into each
round.  Rounds ended quickly and no team ever made it to the Safe Room.  It
was plain old not fun.  Maybe that server op likes playing that way, but
nobody on the server at the time did...so we voted back to the lobby.  The
next server had sv_cheats 0 in its config so we faced random issues, like
Infected only being able to spawn 3 at a time and not 4.  The list goes on.

While, as a server op, I'd like to have a bit more control over my own
server, I welcome these changes being introduced to the game.  Just because
a server op likes to play the game a certain way does NOT mean everybody
does.  I'm not too keen on the Normal difficulty for Versus mode, but we'll
see what happens.

I think Valve is doing this for the community and not for any other reason.
Most of the complaints I hear are about how this server or that server sucks
because of x or y changes made to it.  Locking certain aspects of the
gameplay down seems almost a necessary evil when combined with how we now
connect to servers.  Give it time.  Valve is obviously listening to the
feedback being given and are making changes as they see fit.  Just last
night I was chatting with someone from Valve about certain aspects of server
management.  He had explained in detail what things could be changed and how
they would affect our servers.  I thought I had understood the whole
conversation, but I had completely missed the bigger scope of the issues.

Maybe we're not looking at the long-term and only seeing the short-term.
Like I said...give it some time.

                                                    -Richard Eid