rate N - client and server are allowed to send at most N bytes per
second, it doesn't cause any extra bytes to be sent
so generally its not harmful to have a high rate setting ... unless you
have a low bandwidth connection and a higher rate setting, things get
really bad then. Consider this example:
client has a slow, only 20KB/s connection,
server wants to send 30KB/s to a client,
if client rate setting is 15000 (~15KB/s) then server will start
skipping updates to not send more than 15KB/s, update rate gets lower
but is still playable,
if client rate setting is 50000 then server will send the full 30KB/s
stream down to the client resulting in +500ms lag after 1 second,
+1000ms after 2 seconds, game is totally unplayable.