In my opinion allowing anyone to wear any hat is going a bit too far. I
have seen people mess with hats for a _whole_ match and not contribute
to the game at all.

You have to be careful to add just enough variation to make your server
popular but not too much as that is what drives away regulars.

(oops, we went slightly off topic to the original post :x)

-TheGeekLord