Public 24x servers are not easy to maintain. with 12v12, people
small. If you have more than a few idiots or more than a few people
leave, suddenly its 8v5 and the place empties out.

All three of our servers are 32x, stock respawn, with the only mods
being deadtalk (they're not 'srs business' servers as much) and a mod I
wrote that allows teleporter entrances in spawn. The latter is an
attempt to ensure the 32x doesn't get stalematey, and it works rather
well. Spies still do plenty of damage and it gives attack a little bit
of an edge on the give or take maps. Overall, they're very fun and
popular servers, tons of regulars, are full 24/7, and run very smooth.
Of course, being public servers, you get idiots, but we have a 'admin'
chat command that lets you call for backup and do our best to keep the
idiots out.

So maybe it's not servers with some non-vanilla mods, but shittily
configured servers that don't pay attention to how their setups impact
the overall fun of the server, and of course those who don't make it
obvious what to expect, a la sv_tags.

- Neph