"Week after week we get updates released at 10pm on a Friday during peak gaming
hours"

In what country? updates are distributed all over the world in many timezones,
I will admit getting some updates at crap times in Australia, but I would
imagine that updates will be in peak time for some server admin in some part of
the world.

 "a pre-published time"

Major releases like TF2 Character upgrades are generally pre-published, other
updates are coders responding to bug fix's.

All in all no time would suit all countries and I really don't understand why
Valve should be expected to restructure for lazy server administration.