That's not really true, IMO. For example, donations to WWF (the World
Wildlife Fund) or PBS give you perks such as tote bags, DVDs, and plenty of
other gifts. Certainly, the value of the gifts is much lower than they
would be--they're more incentives rather than actual products--but the fact
remains, there are still perks for donating.

Now certainly TF2 community donations are not anywhere near the same as
actual nonprofit organizations, but I think it's fair to call them
donations. Many of the people who donate to CSn do it more because they
enjoy their community rather than because they want round-end immunity.

Since you mentioned reserved slots, yes we do have them, but we do not have
the kicking feature enabled, so our servers appear full (24/24) instead of
23/24. We too dislike the kicking reserved slots.

--Gavin "Benny Hill" L from the Crit Sandvich Network