Custom servers add great additional elements of gameplay that many new players are in some ways being driven away from because so many of them stick to the quickplay list. I'm pretty sure we can all admit that the server browser can be intimidating, thousands of servers, with only a smidgen of information about the place. I agree, it's the responsibility of the operators to put forth the effort to populate the server, if it means getting on and mass-inviting everyone on your friends list on Steam then that's what you've got to do. I know of some communities that used faked player counts to get off the ground before the Policy of Truth issue blew up like this; but they did it for a the first few weeks and didn't need it after that point because they provided a great place to play and the server populated itself on the name alone. I will gladly turn a blind eye to the use of faked player counts in that situation, because out of thousands of servers, even mass-inviting may not improve your odds much. Using it to keep the server populated for months, or in some cases, the entire lifespan of the server so far, that's an issue. Use those ever-important critical thinking skills. What's keeping players from coming back without them?

1.) Do people get scared off by poor server performance or atmosphere?
2.) Are people deliberately making it a poor environment?
3.) Hackers and glitch abusers running amok?

It's the responsibility of the operator, and anyone they may appoint as administrators of the server to get people to come back. If you have to rely on faked player counts exclusively, frankly, your server probably sucks.

tl;dr if your server sucks, people won't come back; make it suck less and they might.