From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Fletcher Dunn
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:13 AM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
(hlds_li...@list.valvesoftware.com); Half-Life dedicated Win32 server
Subject: [hlds] Potential fix for problems on multi-honed servers

If you are running a multi-honed server, and your server occasionally drops
out of the master server listing, or appears on the wrong public IP, then
you may be interested in testing our some beta binaries that might fix the
problem.  The problem begins with a disruption while talking on UDP (often
during the weekly prop of Steam).  The Steam client layer then enters a
fallback pattern of TCP, then UDP, etc.  Eventually the disruption is
resolved, and it can be random whether your server managed to connect to
Steam on TCP or UDP, depending on where it was in the retry pattern.  The
problem with TCP for multi-honed servers is that it will always bind to the
default interface, disregarding any request to bind to a particular
interface.  This can cause Steam to see your server as coming from the wrong
public IP.  Depending on your routing rules, NAT, etc, your server can drop
off of the server browser because clients cannot get to you when they send
packets to that IP.

Some server operators have worked around this bug with firewall rules
preventing the server from connecting to Steam via TCP.

These binaries disable TCP fallback for dedicated servers.

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/440/steam_bins_windows_1586041.zip

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/440/steam_bins_linux_1586041.zip

Be warned that they have not been widely tested.  You should only try out
these binaries if you think you are having problems related to multi-honed
machines.

Also, note that if you do use these binaries, and then update your server,
they will probably be reverted.