I don't know about you, but I'm both a server admin (on my own TF2 servers) and a player (for other game modes not offered by my servers).

As a player, I wouldn't care if the motd were to suddenly vanish.

As a server admin... I still wouldn't care if the motd were to suddenly vanish, because the only thing I use it for is a jukebox and that can easily be replaced by clients (dun dun dun) listening to their own music.

On 3/31/2013 4:48 AM, Mart-Jan Reeuwijk wrote:

This is SERVER admin list, you come with crap for the USERS which shouldn't be here... its a DIFFERENT viewpoint.

Server Owners want:
- being able to show the MOTD for various plugins and MODs and/or their community rules, McKay made a nice list of things that would get broken if it went down the drain.

Clients want:
- no pinion / unsolicited traffic not related to their game.

The mailing list is for Server Owners, and ofcourse, SPUF is for the Clients.

    *From:* Crapware Wardon <crapware.war...@hotmail.com>
    *To:* "hlds@list.valvesoftware.com" <hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>
    *Sent:* Sunday, 31 March 2013, 4:49
    *Subject:* [hlds] Suggestion and query regarding MOTD

    This is to address the responses from the following badmins...

    Asher Baker (asher...@gmail.com <mailto:asher...@gmail.com>)
    Doctor McKay (mc...@doctormckay.com <mailto:mc...@doctormckay.com>)
    Russell Smith (ve...@tinylittlerobots.us
    <mailto:ve...@tinylittlerobots.us>)
    1nsane (1nsane...@gmail.com <mailto:1nsane...@gmail.com>)

    Providing links from public forums is not the same as providing
    links from corporate press release web sites.  I can understand
    how the simple minded might fall for you shenanigans but Valve
    simply does not represent itself as doing business with Pinion.
    IMHO they would be foolish to do so.

    I have been following this mailing list for some time now and have
    yet to see any of the above individuals offer anything of value or
    help to anyone other than themselves or their self serving
    opinions. It would be a great service to the community if they
    would remove themselves from this list.

    Pinion does nothing to support Valve games and as a matter of fact
    they detract from the entertainment value people strive for when
    they purchase a game. They are capitalizing and promoted pollution
    to the gaming community. If no one can post a better solution to
    this issue, I would then welcome the motd removal altogether.