Gah, someone needs to update the Wiki, it's using quotes for the examples.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

On 4/26/2013 6:01 PM, Saul Rennison wrote:

Only use quotes on the command line

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM, List User <l...@redspeedservers.com <mailto:l...@redspeedservers.com>> wrote:

    I can't download the beta.

    app_update "232330 -beta prerelease" validate
    Steam_: BugslayerUtil.DLL not found
    Redirecting stderr to 'C:\Tools\steamcmd\logs\stderr.txt'
    [ 0%] Checking for available updates...
    [ 0%] Download complete.
    [----] Verifying installation...

    Do you need a login for this beta or something? I'm using
    anonymous atm.