We never run ads on our servers and only use the MOTD for our quite popular
ingame radio and gameME statistics.

Not having the MOTD and with no way to gracefully handle the situation for
the server *or* the client this restriction is just a nuisance.

Valve has had a stance for the "don't like it, don't play there" policy on
other topics, why does this get such a harsh treatment when even official
partners like Pinion are suffering?

Not even mentioning that this fix went to an extreme where even the opening
MOTD, which is *required* to even join the game, can be
inadvertently blocked for quickplay players.

Just because *you* don't use MOTDs for anything useful doesn't qualify you
to judge everyone elses use case. And no, a reasonable intro ad is not
abusive. At all.