  From: Doctor McKay
  Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:45 PM
  Subject: Re: [hlds] TF2 MOTD and Quickplay

  I'd just like to point out that nowhere in my original post did I say that I
run ads or that I want the MOTD restricted for non-Quickplay players.

  Servers are unable to open the MOTD window on players who joined via
Quickplay. However, this doesn't prevent servers from *loading pages* in
Quickplay-players' MOTD browsers. I simply suggested that Valve could restrict
the ability to load pages entirely on Quickplay-joined players.

  Although I suppose I should have been a bit more direct and to the point.
It's not necessarily that I particularly care about servers that pop ads (I
exclusively play on my community's servers, which don't use ads), I just wanted
a way to detect if a player joined through Quickplay. Checking if they are able
to load an MOTD window seemed like the most logical solution. In fact, I had a
plugin entirely finished and ready to deploy before I discovered that pages
will still load, just in the background.

  I'd like to detect Quickplay joins for two reasons. One, analytics. I'd like
to keep a record of how many players join from Quickplay and how many join
directly.

  Two, my community's servers have some configurable options that are
configured through the MOTD browser. I'd like to be able to detect which
clients won't be able to open an MOTD window and respond to their commands
accordingly.

  The last thing I want is the disappearance of the MOTD browser entirely. I've
written several plugins that rely on it, either fully (SourceMod DJ) or
partially (backpack.tf Price Check, SteamRep Checker (Redux)).

  Doctor McKay
  http://www.doctormckay.com
  mc...@doctormckay.com

  On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM, ced lo <loranger...@hotmail.com> wrote:

    Yeah im seriously tired of those useless post... Leave the Motd alone and
if your not happy with, just move to another game.

    > Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 18:31:17 -0500
    > From: ad...@ponyfortress2.com

    > To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
    > Subject: Re: [hlds] TF2 MOTD and Quickplay
    >

    > Hey guys, if you all want to fight, take it to Steam messages, some of
    > us use the mailing list for real issues, not bickering.
    >
    > <3 DL
    >
    > Quoting Doctor McKay <mc...@doctormckay.com>:
    >
    > > As I'm sure most are aware, a little while ago Valve changed the TF2
MOTD
    > > panel so that it can't be reopened by the server if the client joins via
    > > Quickplay (or using the matchmaking argument on the connect command).
    > > However, this just prevents the MOTD panel itself from redisplaying. The
    > > server can still open pages in the client's MOTD panel in the
background.

    > > This means that the server can still spam traffic-to-cash URLs on
clients,
    > > many of which have noise-making Flash embedded or which open popup
windows
    > > using JavaScript. In order to maintain the "sterile bubble" in
Quickplay,