This is kind of a double-edged sword. On one hand, while I certainly hope this
deals all the "quickplay ad farms" a death blow (although it wouldn't surprise
me to see the more nefarious folks create some hack(s) to once again circumvent
these measures), it's a shame that so many long-standing features of the game
that legitimate server operators use to convey valuable information (and assist
in community building) are being stripped out bit by bit because of the folks
whose only concern is/was easy ad impressions.
I still firmly believe the right way to approach the problem is by disabling
javascript/flash/html5 in the in-game browser itself, and allowing the good old
basic html MOTD to continue to function as it has for over 5 years. I'm not
sure if Valve even cares anymore that this approach - while it certainly hurts
the pinion farms - also makes it that much harder for legitimate server
operators to build a community around the game.
Our 5+ year old community is, and always has been, fueled by member support
(donations) that pay the server bills, and this just makes it that much harder
to get new TF2 players to take a good look at the value we've built into the
community.
TF2 team - please take the time and take a step back and think about what is in
the best long-term interest of TF2. This game NEEDS communities built around it
- they promote and build the game's audience, drive commerce within the game,
and create and police the best servers so that they don't degenerate into
free-for-all zones of racsim, bigotry, and a haven for hackers & cheats.
Just about every major change you've made to the game recently, both in
introducing quickplay in its current form, AND in stripping out MOTD
functionality to prevent the kind of ad farms that quickplay made possible in
the first place,  make it actually seem like you are trying to not only
marginalize the importance of those communities, but to remove all diversity
from the game as a whole.
Please think about it, Valve.