I don't think valve is against Pinion. They aren't blocking it on their
other games and are still partners for CS:GO.
As such I doubt they would mind a single ad that once closed stays closed.

Why they decided to do it the way they did I'm not sure.
Maybe it was to show that they don't like it being abused this way and to
warn people that the MOTD could go away entirely.
Not that those people would care. If there's some way to abuse it and make
money it will be done.
And then when it's all disabled we can suffer because of them.