@ Lucas Wagner:

Some very good points, I disagree with this statement, however:

If we had more community servers we'd just have more 2fort/dustbowl/turbine
> 24/7 servers. Isn't there enough of these already?

Prior to quickplay, there was a plethora of "rotation" servers out there
hosted by the community (there are still some, but their numbers continue
to dwindle). Our community, for example, ran a CP rotation server (both
stock and custom maps), a CTF rotation server (all maps EXCEPT 2Fort, to
include over a dozen custom maps) along with half a dozen other "rotation"
servers. All of those servers were very popular, and stayed full 18+ hours
per day.

Once Valve made their drastic quickplay changes, all but our payload
rotation servers started a long, slow slide in population (almost all
players eventually move on to new games, and if new players can't find you,
then your server will slowly die out).

There are a number of factors that contribute to that, but I can tell you
as a server operator running TF2 servers since 2008:

- Obviously, any servers that host anything but Valve maps are immediately
at a major disadvantage, since any custom maps immediately removes a server
from quickplay.

- EVERY server loses players during/after a map change (even Valve
servers). The huge difference here that allows Valve to host so many
rotation servers is that they have an enormous and insurmountable (under
the current policies/UI design) advantage in terms of player traffic, and
they feed their servers a constant steam of new players.  Community server
operators were forced into so many "24/7" one-map server because those are
virtually the only ones that stay full. That's also the reason only the
most popular maps get the majority of community representation.

- This has also resulted in all "non-payload" game modes (CP, CTF, PLR)
experiencing an unnatural and artificial decrease in popularity. For it's
first 5 years, our CP rotation server was one of the most popular servers
online, frequenting appearing in the top 25 TF2 servers played. As of last
year, we were forced to shut it down due to dwindling player traffic.

Consider this:

If quickplay didn't exist, and all the BS exploits were disabled (fake
players/clients, etc. that the bad apples used to trick players) so
everyone was on a level playing field, do you honestly think that Valve's
un-moderated, racist-filled, non-team oriented servers would really be able
to compete with community servers? I'm sure there would be some players
that still wanted that kind of environment, but I guarantee that once most
players experienced a well-run, competitive, asshat-free moderated
community server, they would never visit a Valve server again, and would
probably be more inclined to become a long-term player.

The thing is, there's a middle-ground here that would (I believe) satisfy
everyone. A simple UI (and tweak to the underlying system) that has been
suggested multiple times is this one:

http://i.imgur.com/tAmWXj6.png

That would satisfy both those that like things the way they are, and
communities that would like more equitable treatment. For the life of me, I
can't understand why Valve is so apathetic towards the idea - but that
doesn't mean I'm going to stop asking ;-)