Before quickplay there used to be 20+ custom game mode servers filled 24/7
and now you think it is acceptable that only 4 of them can be popular now?
And most of them succeeding only by ripping models from gmod and changing a
few numbers on a plugin? Most good custom servers are dead and the ones
left are appealing to 10 years olds who only entertained by a new skin on
the same Freak Fortress bosses.

Slag servers did not die from "administration" issues. If it was ever an
issue then they would never have been full 24/7. They are a prime example
of even non-quickplay full conversion mods that were overwhelmingly
successful before the quickplay change and are now practically dead.

> Firstly, Robert, you seem to be confusing the application of zero sum
game and the way it was intended. I refer to it in the context of, “Someone
who prefers and frequents Valve servers, probably won’t play on privately
run servers that often.” And the opposite is also true, “Someone who
prefers and frequents privately run servers, won’t usually go near Valve
servers, though obviously there are incentives for them to do so from time
to time.” And also “If someone has found a community they like, they rarely
venture outside of that community providing the community hosts the types
of things they’re interested in.” The zero-sum-game argument is about where
people play, that is all, and it is reflective of the fact that we are all
creatures of habit.

I didn't confuse anything. Your arguments are all logically flawed and
rather nonsensical. I don't know why you are even bringing up that playtime
is "zero-sum" (which it isn't, players can be stimulated to play 1 hour on
community servers and 1 hour on official ones). If Valve thought it was a
zero-sum game and didn't get anything out of it, then why would they have
let people host servers? Therefore whatever you have to say about this is
irrelevant.

> Thirdly, it would behove of Robert not to guestimate the experience of
other contributors to this mailing list when he does not know to whom he
speaks. My experience is that custom game modes are doing just fine and I’m
not alone in this regard. Perhaps some introspection might reveal why
Robert has a different experience?

It is very easy to tell that you have no experience hosting servers. The
only person who can support your argument is Fearts, who is the only person
who could make such a claim. And even his servers have fewer players than
the historical norm.

> Fifthly, I don’t recall Valve ever marketing Team Fortress 2 as a game
where private server operators were guaranteed a “level” environment or
that private servers were guaranteed. Dedicated servers, maybe.
Privately-managed servers, no. The fact that it had the latter feature at
release is, in my view, incidental. Furthermore, I would note that Valve’s
EULA reserves it the right to make changes to the product however they
wish. So perhaps it would be prudent for Robert to take out the emotive
entitlement argument.

It wasn't ever written in stone, but it is an implicit understanding. Many
of us probably wouldn't be here if Valve said they planned to eventually
kill off all community servers in the future once they started making more
money that way. Valve could make TF2 pay-to-win if they wanted to, but they
don't. And people buy their stuff because there is an implicit
understanding that Valve would never do something like that. But for some
reason they have no qualms about screwing over their communities.

There is also an clause in the EULA that allows them to terminate your
account for any reason. Yet there is an implicit understanding that Valve
would never close it for a "dumb" reason such as allowing them to make more
money at your expense. Yet this is exactly what they are doing to TF2
community servers.

I don't know anything about overkill, and I don't care about the Mannconomy
or attachments. It is irrelevant much like most of your arguments.