----- Original Message -----
From: "Brad Gould" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mirror.valve.hlds_linux
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 5:33 PM
Subject: [hlds_linux] Re: how will the Valve banlist be hack proof? [was Re:
[hlds_linux] New Security Modules]

> Why bother "simulating" anything.  Spoof source addresses of real
> servers.  And since its UDP I dont think theres any handshaking involved.

good point brad (check out the brains on brad! :)

since it's UDP even the "circle of trust" that i suggested in my original
post would be useless.

this kind of thing should be done via tcp with a handshake requirement.

accident and i were talking about building a global ban database system late
last year, and it got really complicated really fast.  but the basic idea
was that only TRUSTED servers would be allowed to add to the global ban
list, this trust was "verified" by ip (over tcp) and a handshake to prevent
spoofing, and there were some serious requirements to becoming trusted.

~j aka bp