All this from someone who doesnt even run a server? (or so he has stated
recently)

Have you read any of the posts?
With all the other concerns that have arisen?

I want cheat protection, but not at the expence of others.

> How about:
>     c. option to wipe ass for me
>       1. wipe with circular motion
>       2. wipe in forward to back motion
>       3. wipe in back to forward motion
>       4. use quilted 1-ply
>       5. use quilted 2-ply
>       6. use unquilted 1-ply
>       7. use unquilted 2-ply
>       8. use the obviously uncompleted critical thinking
>          homework assignments from high school
>       9. use Maureen Dowd's column from the NY Times (recommended)
>       0. turn off the ass-wiping feature and go commando
>
> Heh, seriously...this is just insane.  I love options and have often
> lobbied passionately for there to be option as to how this or that
> functions.  However, this is just crazy.  I'd rather have functional
> software than even further delays due to some sniveling admin.  In
> Tweak-esque voices at a feverish pitch, people manage to get out a
> sentence during the lull between fits of spazzing out: "Well if VAC
> really worked then they couldn't play anyway since they'd be kicked!"
> That isn't the point.  That's merely an added benefit, extra assurance
> of a mostly cheat-free gaming experience.  The POINT is that if they ARE
> repeat cheaters, they can NOT continue to use their copy of the game on
> secure servers even if they don't currently have the cheats actively
> running.  Technically, Valve is being very lenient in that they should
> not even be allowed *that* privilege, according to the EULA they had to
> agree to before using the software.

Further delays, acceptable

banning innocent users due to bugs, Not acceptable

Youd be the first mofo to cry if your wonid was banned due to an error
somewhere.

> The point is that a universal ban list will act first as a deterrent
> against cheaters-to-be even thinking twice about playing with this
> particular fire.  And if that deterrent fails, it acts as a punishment
> for breaking the EULA.  When they break the EULA, they forfeit their
> opportunity to use the software.  Best case scenario: people decide that
> constantly buying new copies of HL isn't worth whatever juvenile thrill
> they may get.  Worst case scenario: they break their EULA, forfeit any
> rights to the use of the software--and possibly continue to fun Valve's
> efforts by buying additional product.
>
> Please, this has to be one of the dumbest spamfests I've seen in a long
> time.  Good-natured suggestions and thoughtful discussions on the
> issue(s) at hand are welcome.  Dogmatic, unthinking arguments augmented
> by fevered, spittle-infused flames are not welcome.  If you can't be
> insightful or intelligent about it, then please keep your crap off the
> list.

You complain something is dumb and spammy by adding to it?

Gee, youre bright.

Heres my Clue stick, now go sit in the corner and beat yaself with it.