Jeremy Brooking wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 13:40, Chris Deome wrote:
>
>>A T1 is 1.544Mbits per second.  If you have 100Mbits per second entering a
>>router hosting a 1.5Mbits per second, that is roughly 100 times faster than
>>the T1 and you will fill up all your available DRAM in the Cisco Router (Yes
>>he mentioned Cisco) and packets will drop.  I happen to work for Cisco, and
>>your logic does not make sense.  Sorry..
>>

> A T1 can be franctional (but working for cisco you would know that)
> right? Therefore his T1 connection could be 1meg or even less right?

it could also be a frame relay with a CIR of 0, but that isn't the
point.  the point is, your LAN traffic will always be greater than your
WAN traffic, irregardless.  Cisco builds buffers into their IOS to help
alleviate the congestion that can occur.  His problems may not be in the
router, LAN, cables, but in the upstream provider.  Let's not point the
blame to the equipment so quickly.  Let's also not forget that UDP is a
connectionless protocol, and therefore unreliable.

> Read what you typed again? Where exactly is 100meg of traffic entering
> anywhere?? You are aware a 100meg interface refers to traffic VOLUME not
> speed? Simply because he has 100meg avaliable to use between his server
> and the router, does not at any stage mean it will be used.

the maximum theoretical traffic  entering the LAN side of the router
would be at 100MB, now, shall we go into the TCP/IP sliding window bug,
and get completely off topic even further?  hell, let's disect the
entire OSI while we're at it. :p

> If his WAN side connection is 1.5meg, and all his clients reside WAN
> side, then no where in the topology will their be 100megs of traffic
> being moved at anytime, unless of course his machine/router is
> incorrectly configured and is spewing traffic where its not meant to go.

what if his server isn't the only device on the network?  there are
other factors that can come into play here.  let's not assume that his
server is the only one on this elusive T1.

> And its good to meet a Cisco Receptionist!

Hardly.  I work with him in the same office.  We're not receptionists.

>>If he is hosting a LAN.  Yes 100Mbits is fine and I wouldn't want him to
>>limit that to 10Mbit.. However since this is heading out to the internet,
>>and his WAN is extremely decreased, yes limit the connection or packets will
>>drop, and therefore resolving the choke/lag.
>

> And im going to stop right here.. you seem confused.

Nick Brooks
CCDA
   .~.
   /V\