> erk, I've had no end of trouble with a dual AMD 1800MP system running
> Redhat 7.3
>
> But my Single CPU systems running redhat run flawlessly.
>
> Matt.
>
> --On Wednesday, 29 January 2003 3:55 AM -0600 "Eric (Deacon)"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> we wanna upgrade  our Server wit CPU-Power,
> >> but we couldnt spend all Server P4-2,4 GHz.
> >> So we wanna know ... what is better:
> >
> > Many admins have been very pleased with the performance of the
> > AthlonXP/MP CPU's, which are also much more cost effective for the same
> > or greater performance.

Yes Athlons are good and inexpensive.
I have been running a dual 2000+ now since June and on the whole I'm happy
(Red Hat 7.3 and later upgraded to 8) one crash in the e1000 driver that's
all.

But if I had the choice between a p4 1,7 and the new Celeron 2.0 I'll
probably would go for the non lobotomized chip. The cache may not be so
important to hlds (?), but most likely linux will find some use for it.

---
marius