Well, it might have to do with people not want to spend to much time to
answer questions. :P
For an example, I responded with info from a webstore. I didn't had the
time to check if they where correct, and I didn't want to go to deep
about cpu's. The only point I had with my reply was that duron did not
perform well, while xp and p4 do...

/Oscar

Stefan Huszics wrote:

Oscar N wrote:

This might not be the answer you want.

AMD Duron has 64kb of cache
AMD XP has 256kb
Intel Celeron has 128kb
Intel P4 has 512kb

How can so many people (Oscar is just the one I happend to reply to)
post such huge missinformation on an admin maillist without anyone
reacting?!?!
Is it really true that everybody that knows something no longer reads
this list becuse of all the sensless spam?

Anyway here are some FACTS (for a change)

It is NOT true that AMD Duron has only 64kB of cache, what it has is
64kB *L2* cache. Apart from that it also has 128kB of *L1* cache (which
I hope people know is much faster then a L2 cache). Also, AMD cache
opposed to Intel cache is EXCLUSIVE (ie the info in L1 is NOT repeated
in L2). If I'm to complete the above list we thus have

AMD Duron has 128k + 64k = 192k (mostly L1)
AMD XP has 128k + 256k = 384k (mostly L2)
Intel Celeron (there is a whole bunch of diffrerent cache configs for
celerons so you need to be more specific eg)
Intel Tualatin Cel 1400 has 32k +  256k = 256k (remeber L1 is repeated
in L2 on Intel)
Intel Willamette Cel 1700 has 8k + 128k = 128k
Intel P4 256k has 8k + 256k = 256k
Intel P4 512k has 8k + 512k = 512k

The comparably HUGE L1 cache of AMD k7x CPUs is a large reason to why
they have such good real life (TM) performance figures in a server
enviroment.
Thus for a server a Duron will literally blow away an Intel Celeron even
if it "only got 64k cache" becuse apart from that 64 it also 128k L1,
which is where it REALLY matters (that is between 4x and 16x MORE then
Intel CPUs have in L1).

--
/Stefan

Software never has bugs. It just develops random features. =)