OK... I guess I'll bite the bullet on this one. Just what the hell is going
on with this increased CPU usage? I notice that the update list mentions
that hlds_run detects your CPU and runs the "correct" binary, I'm going to
play around with the hlds_run script and see what happens. I've actually had
to take my server down for the first time in ages to try and figure this
out. The increased CPU usage kind of bothers me, especially since there's no
obvious "feature" that justifies this extra consumption.

C'mon Valve. With HL2 just around the corner, don't finish up HL by leaving
the engine in a botched state. It wouldn't do justice to your fans or
Half-Life leaving the game like this. It's bad enough when Gearbox quit on
us after 1.1.1.0 was released, please, don't do the same.

At the very least, tell us that you're working on it or doing something
about it or something. Anything. A simple "Working on the problem" will do
wonders.