Which should be the correct way of dealing. If you issue a quit or exit,
the program should report 0 as exitcode. And reading the hlds_run script
it checks if it 0 and then break out of the whileloop.

I think there is a restart command in the hlds that, hopefully, sends
another exitcode.

Test this:
First set the path
# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=".:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
run hlds
# ./hlds_i686 -game cstrike +map de_dust

Then type 'exit' in the game concole
# echo $?

run hlds_i686 again and then kill it with -9 'kill -9 <pid#>' from another
shell. In the prompt where hlds console is type:
# echo $?

the one where you typed exit should return 0 and the other one will return
anything but 0. my guess would be -1 or 255.

/Bjorn