You need to type more then just ./steam

For instance to install CSS you would type this (providing steam is in the
base directory you wan the game installed..)

./steam -command update -game "Counter-Strike Source" -dir ./

or HL2DM...

./steam -command update -game "hl2mp" -dir ./

simple CSS launch script..

#!/bin/sh

echo "Starting your CS/Source Server..."

sleep 1

screen -AmdS css ./srcds_run -console -game "cstrike" +sv_lan
1 -nomaster -port 27015 -tickrate 66 +map de_dust2 +maxplayers 48 -debug

sleep 1

echo "Your server is now running, to view it type screen -r css"

That is for a closed LAN.. change it to what you would need....

--kennycom