Valve, if you do fix this "problem," I *beg* you to consider adding a
cvar to disable reporting changes in the in-game chat area, but
continue broadcasting the cvar in server queries (the current behavior
in Linux servers).

I use this "bug" to allow me to keep track of teams and classes via
server queries and thus be able to easily generate images like
http://www.ardiem.org/images/example.png . The cvars involved change
every time players switch teams/classes, so if the bug was fixed,
players would be inundated with chat spam on the cvar changes and I
would have to disable this functionality.

Thanks,

Ryan