Agreed.  I work at a college, and the reason we host gaming servers on
campus is because the internet bandwidth for the dorms is around 100%
usage 22 hours a day, so students end up getting horrible ping times on
outside servers.  A lot of students have asked if we will be hosting
L4D, but it won't do them any good if they can't choose to play on our
servers.

     - Dave

Cobalt Bomb wrote:
> I must say, I'm a little aghast at the thought that I may not have access to
> the type of server browser/list I've used for the past decade and more.  I'm
> not a GSP so I have no real interest in it from that perspective, but I do
> prefer to pick my own server.  I'm not sure how L4D works with regard to
> dropping in to games (like we would with Quake or TF2 etc.), but when I look
> to join an existing game, I'll go to one of my favourite servers.  That
> might be a server where I play a lot and have built up a relationship with
> the player base, or a server I know will give me a good ping.
>
> How will it work with private servers?  How will I tell my client that I
> want to join a specific server if they're just picked from a random list? If
> I'm playing with friends and a couple of us are ready early, we'll join our
> provate server and mess about while waiting for the others.  I don't want to
> hang around in some sterile "lobby" where all I can do it type. I've already
> got IRC for that.  I want to join my server, blast some infected while we
> wait, and then rcon restart the map when everyone's ready.
>
> Maybe it won't be as crap and "dumbed-down" as it sounds, but I'm already
> prejudiced against the idea even before I experience it.
>
> "There is also a ranking system to show the popularity of your server."
>
> What's the point of that when it's some back-end system that selects the
> server?  It doesn't show real popularity amongst players, merely which
> servers get populated by the game manager.

Dave Parker
Utica College
Integrated Information Technology Services
(315) 792-3229
Registered Linux User #408177