-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Japje |
Jasper Wonnink
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:52 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] hlds/srcds ipv6 support

Thomas Morton wrote:
> Implementing IPV6 is probably more of a pain than they can be bothered to
> work at (I would imagine).
>
> Seeing as it *still* is not ready, complete or accepted as standard
(another
> 3 or 4 years do we reckon?) it seems fairly pointless.

It is ready, and has been for many years. Major hardware company's like
juniper and cisco allready support it on all their core routers.  Ipv6
is not something new, its been around as early as 1995.

> Plus of course you have the IPV6 jack of all trades useless for anything
> else problem - I can see it ending up as a stop gap.

You do know what a network stack is right?

> Until IPV4 drops off as the standard protocol I doubt anyone much will be
> implementing it - and by that time I fully expect we will see IPv10 at a
> decent (better) standard...

Ipv4 will never be dropped within the next decade because there is
legacy equippment that will never support ipv6 (products not being made
anymore but still in use)

And dont expect an ipv10 within the next half a decade.

Ipv6 brings a lot of good things like performance and stability and easy
configuration. Better routes and we are finally get rid of NAT. which is
  _NOT_ a security feature!