The night that Nick is referring to was when the Survival pack was
released.  We were running 320 instances of Left 4 Dead across 5 IBM
HS21XM blades (Dual E5450s - 3Ghz each core) and the majority of the
servers had players on them.  All of the cores were running at 90+% CPU
usage for a few hours.  Each physical server was using around 11-12Gb of
RAM for that.

We weren't doing anything special configuration wise, Left 4 Dead was
running in a default manner.  Nothing special done OS wise, just a stock
install of CentOS.  I played on one of our servers that night and I
didn't notice anything in-game that indicated performance issues.