It really depends where you live, and while some of you may be lucky enough
to have progressive telco's, some of us are still stuck with slow
connections for home use.
The best known solution (a proven solution even) to this is to have
dedicated servers. Throw in varying consumer level network hardware and
operating systems, software firewalls and you have a massive headache which
lets face it, most gamers dont have the skills to fix themselves.

Dedicated server = hit a button and connect, or its down. easy.

I wish i could call 768k upload dsl 'modest' for where i live.