I understand the concern for public server compliance. Our servers are
almost exclusively private and have been so for 9 years, so we're
probably not the center of your concern. But my primary concern is to
make our servers available to our community as simply as possible. And
requiring the player to do the Valve console "two-step" just to
connect to a community server is counter productive. Add to that the
misinformation/guess-timation of cvar interactivity and Valve's secret
feature addition/deletion du jour, and we have quite a party. Not an
IW-level party, but you know what I mean. ;)

Players should understand the new dynamics of the lobby and forget the
old pick-a-server list...agreed. But the system has to work, first.
When all versus lobbies are redirected to local hosting/P2P, when
empty servers are available, someone has messed up priorities. If we
want the users to change, we need to eliminate the need to hack the
system.

--Kerry