I'm pretty sure they're working on something like this, except that it's by
SteamID, not hostname.

-----Original Message-----
From: hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds_linux-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of
bottige...@gmail.com
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 3:15 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: [hlds_linux] Request: Adding servers by domain name

Since people are talking about implementing ipv6, I thought I'd bring this
up as a more urgent improvement.

Servers can change IPs from time to time due to a decline in quality of the
host or datacenter, or to move to better hardware at a better price.

Unfortunately it is my experience, and probably many others here, that when
you switch IPs, you will lose the vast majority of your player base. I've
tried mitigating this by putting up the new IP on the name of the old server
or automatically spamming it repeatedly in the chat, and it just doesn't
work very well. I still get people asking me a month later where my server
went, and that's only the people that bothered to friend me.

By being able to favorite a server by domain name, the player experience
would improve by not forcing them to re-add IP addresses or search through
2000 servers to find the new one in case they missed all the signs.