I brought this up a few times when L4D first came out, because I wanted to be able to password protect a server. I don't think Valve considers this a bug. They simply don't want you to use sv_password in L4D or L4D2. I think what it boils down to is that they don't want you to take a server out of the matchmaking system. They added the shared key and Steam Group stuff, and using them together you can lock a server down pretty well, but it's far more convoluted than setting a password.

   - Dave

-----Original message-----
From: James Botting <bottswan...@googlemail.com>
Sent: Thu, Dec 1, 2011 02:41:16 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] L4D2 sv_password bug

It also does this if sv_cheats 1 is set. I'm not sure if this is
desired behaviour since neither of these convars are really meant to
be altered for l4d2 servers.

On 1 Dec 2011, at 00:42, Amer <stalker...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello. I noticed people had reported about this bug here before a
couple of times but this bug yet to be addressed until now. It appears
that when you have sv_password set, server doesn't respond to a2s
queries thus causing it to appear offline in server browser like hlsw
until you unset the password.

Can we have someone at valve to look into this and get it fixed?