Unfortunately you can't connect to it at all when it's password
protected. It doesn't even prompt for password. It could be that the
server doesn't respond to a2s packet from client when you have
sv_password set. From my test running both l4d and l4d2 servers, I
could confirm that this bug only exist in l4d2, but not in l4d.

This is still a bug, no matter what unintentional good it brings, it
needs to be fixed