Yes that is true, but if you compare it to CS:S it looks like they are
doing a better job keeping regulars from getting bored, and I am
offering the most plausible explanation for it.

Yes it is true that TF2 still has more players before F2P, but since
it is free, it is unreasonable to expect TF2 to have less players
unless TF2 gameplay is truly that much inferior to CS:S.