The point of these questions... good question. I've seen those questions a lot
and around, ppl complaining about it etc. Never an answer or a
real improvement. Its simply said: Ignored. There is no other word for, its
always ignored, never been really
addressed, never stated a QoS, or w/e. Steam down? Good for you!

If it was designed and build for the usage they ever can expect, and
with growth in mind, we would never face those outages. Design such
system to be able to cope with the traffic, instead of design it now for
 the 3 million users, and in a week find that there are 3.5 million
users, and here comes the rollercoaster again.

They make money on steam, but it seems that they cant cope with anything
 above "average" use. Oh, here comes an update, lets take steam down.
Oh, there is sales, lets take steam down, oh, here are more players,
lets take steam down, oh, the wind comes from east, lets take steam
down. Its been like this since I've have a steam account. Anything
that's out of the "normal nothing is happening" takes it down.

I've worked for banks, where uptime needed to be 99.99% (in working
hours), they do everything to satisfy their customers (their personel)
by redundancy's, clustering, offsite failsafe etc. Takes a lot of
incidents to take even 1 service down. They design their stuff for worst case
scenario's. I can understand that this kind
of fail safe is too much, but for a commercial party to have such a bad
service...

Lets put it this way.... I'd be willing to PAY a yearly fee if it was up
 99.5% of the time for any service combined. But its a very long way
from that. with the downtime I experience now, its now bout 4 hours and
steam been online for about 45 minutes total. so thats 3:15 hours... to
make that up to 99.5 % uptime that would be a staggering
non-interrupting (any) service of 26 days and 23:45 hours.

But wait... I'm already paying for steam, by the overpriced (way cheaper
 boxed games in normal store or other online stores, and oh, wait, Europe pays
at least 10%
more in steam store also, even if in sale cos 50% off on both sides of the
water is still xx % more, for no apparent reason) games I bought (which I
 cant play cos the inventory is gone, or gets me lagging for steam
connect/disconnects, etc), and the items I purchased in game (also higher
priced then on US soil), oh wait,
cant access those as well.

And now that some "event" is started, hence I would WANT to play or trade or
chat with friends etc, things are down?

I just have NO doubt that this shit will continue for the entire holiday sale:
http://store.steampowered.com/holidaysale/

Meh