On 16/08/2012 03:10, Steven Polley wrote:
I'm excited for the day that VALVe allows us to update our servers before
the client update gets rolled out.  Even if we  had an hour, it would make
a huge difference.  It's detrimental to us server admins, as well as the
player experience (having to wait in large queues).

TBH I think it's really moot.

I've complained in the past that the server just spammed a message rather than restarting and updating. Then I noticed it was changed so it did restart on map change, but since most updates happened when the UK is sleeping, most of the servers are empty, and so the map doesn't change and the game didn't restart and update - all the clients wake up, get their update and they can't connect. So my server still needed manually restarting after each update.

No doubt you're thinking "But surely a baboon could write the code to do this small thing properly?" and yes, but, can a baboon answer a bunch of silly trivia questions about shrinking and jumping out of a blender that passes for a recruitment process.

But the bottom line is, I figured it really didn't matter in the end, because there simply are not that many updates for it to be an issue. Sure, at every update you notice it sucks, but unless the game is updated every day or several times a day, the player experience isn't really affected greatly compared with other issues that do happen far more frequently.

Maybe Steam on linux will make the whole "installing a server" redundant.

--
Dan