Here is the problem as I see it. The US CDN servers can't handle the traffic for clients alone, let alone all the servers. Now, I can switch my Steam client to just about any EU server and grab the update on the client side in about 5 minutes. However, I can't switch my download region on the srcds server to accommodate for the US CDN Steam network being swamped.

The server still took over an hour to update, and there isn't anything I could really do about that. Is there anyway srcds could be modified to let us select a download region manually? Can the Steam CDN be more finely tuned to offload saturated content server traffic onto lower utilization servers, like those in Europe? If the latter, that would solve a problem for both client and server, during larger updates like MtP/MvM. If the former, that would let server administrators find a workaround for themselves.

--
Eric G. Wolfe