I agree the implemented solution is not acceptable when there are better
alternatives.

We use MOTD panels for 3 main things:
1. General server/community info, and a list of our other servers (default
MOTD).
2. Rules - accessed by typing "!rules". We also have a plugin that displays
this panel to players when admins issue them warnings or timeouts for rule
violations.

3. Donate information panel. Also accessed only on request (!donate or
something like that)

4.Radio (but not relevant since it's donators only).
I think if a confirmation dialog is implemented, it should also have an option
for a short text string that lets the user see WHY the server wants to display
a MOTD to them. e.g. "This server is trying to show you a MOTD for: Server
Rules" or  "This server is trying to show you a MOTD for: Sourcetunes Radio".
Do you wish to view it?

I'm surprised valve went ahead and implemented the solution they did, given the
extensive discussion in the list about disabling MOTDs (before it went to pot).