I would love to see Valve finally step up after all these years and let you
assign an IP#/port directly to a domain and change it with it to carry over
upon a needed change.

I've had to do an IP# change about several months ago and the server was
widely popular, still is but people are still to this day coming in and
saying "Wow I lost it on my friends list/history and I just thought it died
and I didn't know you guys had a website blah blah blah.." Same thing over
and over again yet they wouldn't have missed a beat had we had this support
years ago.

As for the main discussion on HWID, I don't have that much of an issue to
need this not sure there is a huge need either.