On 05/09/2013 14:14, Mart-Jan Reeuwijk wrote:
yeah, problem is, brick wall in front of that guy.

If I have a bunch of favorited servers, and a server drops off due a IP change,
that server wont see me back. For:
A: I'm not even aware the server is gone, unless its a special mod that I like.
B: As I have enough other favorites, I wont be searching for servers in the
internet tab.
Majority of servers out there run mandatory Pinion nowadays, so searching for
new servers is a pain anyways.

And NO, I'm NOT looking for EMPTY servers. So I sort on # of players on it, and
look for a map I like.

But the most important question is: Would I like to keep the server in my
Fav's, regardless of their IP?

And the answer is yes, for once they made it to my favs, the server proved to
me to not be a bad one (pinion R**e, lag, crap plugins, etc)
That is the purpose of my Favorites to me: get back to servers that didn't make
me a bad experience. If one such changed, for example add Pinion, and I didn't
like it anymore, I leave and remove it from favs...

That is the "special" part of having a Favorite server list, those servers
earned to be there.

Personally I think you should look up what "favourite" means :)

But no matter, if you want a list of 100 servers you don't play on. You have that now.

There really is no difficulty keeping track of the handful of servers people actually play on.

And it doesn't matter because there really is no difficulty finding a server that changes IP
or a new one you've never played on that fits whatever criteria you have.

You wouldn't have 80-100 servers in your favourites list if it was difficult to find and join a new server.

It's even easier to find a server that has an unusual map or mod on it.

But this is moot, as I said earlier, DNS doesn't fix this. DNS just gives the admin another
avenue to screw the player base.

Your flaw is implying that the favourite list keeps track of all the things you
like about a server.

In truth it doesn't. If you played on the world's best server, from your point of view, a day later they could add pinion, get lag, add plugins you don't like or run a different set
of maps.

It's still in your faves. Your 80-100 faves is, as you say, servers that
you have no idea what they are, why you added them, whether they are
still good or even if they've disappeared from your faves or not.

Maybe someone else got a server from that vendor, runs a different map and
now it's in your faves.  And you're saying you don't want to lose it? But
you've never played on it.

Of course you say "If a server changed things then I remove it from faves" - but, from the respect of keeping track of "good servers" (whatever your criteria for good is) faves doesn't do that.
In fact, it's completely useless for what you claim you use it for.

The only thing it tracks is IP and you are all saying you don't want it to do that.

But, when IP changes, so might half of the criteria - ping, lag you chose it for.

As I said in another post, if you give a server an Unique ID to identify it (instead of
using IP), I absolutely am saying IMO you cannot keep that ID static given
certain changes to the server. Because it's useless if you do and ripe for abuse.

But the above is all client concerns, not server concerns.

What arguments did we have from admins pov? A lot of nonsense.
Mostly centered around the idea that if you change the IP address on a server it will be empty for 6 months losing a big community making it impossible for an admin to change hosts or otherwise fix his poor performing server - not something you said but which is a crock of shit.

Later it was claimed that players will happily stop on a server that's lagging or having network problems, which again, you accept is not something you would do. So, if a server has network issues, it's absolutely going to lose its player base, making the idea there are a significant number of server admins sitting on poor hosts because they cannot change ip address, seem very unlikely.

And that was about it - there really were, imo, no coherent reasons for why admins would care about this - presumably because none of you want to mention the nefarious
benefits :)

As you seem to accept, when we favourite a server it's not about the IP address
being the same, or some unique ID being the same. It's about all the
factors that server had that made you think "I want to play here again"
that might be ping, it might be the other players, the map, whatever being the same or at least very similar. A unique ID cannot track this no more than an ip address can.

As for pinion, that's a red herring, it's obviously a bad thing from many points of view.

I'd certainly agree with anyone that suggested Valve should do a lot more with TAGs to allow clients to filter out servers using this kind of thing or to join them if they want. (Arguably they could push a few more of the convars that screw the game which admins seem keen to change for no good reason into the browser too so they can be filtered but, it's not the end of the world)

So yeah, better filtering to improve the browser, including things like pinion use? Absolutely
DNS for faves? A waste of time and effort.

--
Dan