On 26/08/2013 04:07, Mart-Jan Reeuwijk wrote:
I do not agree on your assumption.

Most players use their favorites, they have a bunch of them in there, for
various mods within the game.
Personally, I have like 80-100 servers in there, I really wouldn't notice a
server dropping off cos they changed IP.

Well you wouldn't really have to notice it would you? Most of the time Robert must be crying because you're not on his server you're on one of the other 99 in your favourites list. So your argument doesn't really solve Robert's problem does it? He wants you to have one favourite server - his.

Please, at least use some common sense before replying.

What assumption do you disagree with? I'm saying in order to have 100 servers in your faves list you must have found and joined those servers at one point without them being in that list. You cannot argue
with that, it's a simple fact.

So, if you've only 99 servers (and it's clear you don't know if you have 80 or 100) panic! No don't panic, do exactly what you did to find those 99 servers to find the missing one.

Or just play on one of the other 99.

It's clear from your point of view there are far more servers than you'll ever have the time to play on even if you spent 24 hours a day playing tf2. There will always be empty servers if there are more servers than people. Valve can't do anything with DNS to change that.

As there are enough other servers to play on, I would not need to "find" that
server again in the server browser. I just go to another favorite server. Why? See pinion
story, most non-favorited has pinion in a very intrusive way enabled.

Exactly. There's nothing special about servers. Nothing at all that makes them worth chasing rather than playing on a new one or a different one. Nothing that makes much sense adding 100 of them to "favourites". You can find another server to play on as easily as
you found a server and added it to faves in the first place.

So, after years having a server in somwhere in my favorites, with a vague
familiarity of the server name, ppl won't go looking for a missing server that
changed IP.

Now apply above to other players. And add to that that often server owners cant
move IP to a new box. They lose their player base there.

No they don't. The player base is the same. Whether people originally joined their server via quickplay or the browser, people will again.
If there are players around.

The server is easy to find as it was before. The guy like you with 100 servers in his faves isn't playing on their server much is he? Not if he's forgotten all about the server, the name and everything. If anyone plays on a server regularly enough to care about finding it
when it goes awol then they know what server they are on.

If you were really involved in the community of one or two servers and really loved playing on them, you'd know the community and you'd
know the servers.

All you have is lots of faves in your list that you've added but rarely if ever play on and so, as you say, you really have no idea what servers you've added - but you haven't really been a significant part of their player base either - because
one guy can't be a significant part of the player base of 100 servers.

--
Dan