Changed I made that seem to be working (for anyone else's reference):

* Changed my back-end Apache2 web-server config to accept connection
without FQDN.
* That Apache2 virtual-server used the same content served by the FQDN
virtual server.
* Changed sv_downloadurl to use the IP address and path (example: "
http://w.x.y.z/folder/gameormodhere";).
* Connected from a new machine that did not already connect to the server
(actually, completely new HL1 install).
* Everything seems to be working again!
* Downloads are actually FAST again.
* I know I lived through the pre-FastDL era but, my God!, that was PAINFUL
before! I forgot how much it used to hurt!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Contact Information ...
*Discord:* weasel.steamid.155
*E-Mail:* wea...@weaselslair.com (AKA weasel.steamid....@gmail.com)