    Erik> I think what you are saying is that it is fine if the
    Erik> deployment of IPv6 encourages folks to create the R3/R2 loop
    Erik> above, even if that makes IPv4 fail.

I think that the word "encourages" is wrong.  "Permits" is the keyword.
Joe can easily create a network today that does not work.

Just plug his DSL model into a LAN port on the "router", or confuse his
8-port switch with his 8-port home router.

What we are saying is that, the IPv6 portion of the network SHOULD
continue to work, even if the topology can never work for IPv4.

We had a brief discussion (making it out-of-scope very quickly) about
whether or not the loop detection that IPv6 would provide could be
communicated (by a vendor, inside their box) to their IPv4 side, which
would permit them to turn off the R3/R2 loop for IPv4, making things
work.

] m...@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.