>> It is best to find some reasonable ground where 90% of the people in
>> the world will find the security acceptable, and then let the 10% who
>> care configure the rest.
>>
>> But I would also point out that the argument you're making can be
>> applied to applications as well as network gear.

> We are talking about whether to bring up routing.  The risk is theft
> of service.  This is like locking the screen door if the inside door
> deadbolt is already locked.

No, we're talking about what sort of reachability to provide once
routing is up.

> It is only an issue if the inside door has no locks or has very
> ineffective locks and even then locking the screen door doesn't really
> help much anyway.

I completely disagree. Even a screen door can be an effective component
of an overall security system. Having a system is the key, not a single
component that handles all security of all types in all situations.

:-)

Russ