In message
<dcc302faa9fe5f4bba4dcad4656937791451334...@prvpexvs03.corp.twcable.com>
"Howard, Lee" writes:

> Can you describe some scenarios which would cause a prefix to change,
> in which applications break in ways that are unacceptable?  All of the
> ones I can think of would be cases where I would expect a session to
> drop, but I'm sure that's a lack of creativity on my part.
>
> Lee

Most IPv4 hosts can't tolerate their IP address going away.  For IPv6
its slightly easier because they can add a new address in a new
prefix.  Only think is the host need to ask for an address and today
if its lease has not expired it won't ask.  Some older DHCP code won't
take a change in address or default route when the lease expires.

One thing that would break is any open TCP connections.  The open
connections use the already selected address.  This has been a problem
for mobility for quite a while but those heavier solution can't be
applied to this problem.

Concievably a TCP extension could support alternate source addresses
(such as SCTP does).  Until then, a TCP connection can't change
addresses.

If you switch from one provider uplink to another, you should be able
to keep talking to your content provider.  Currently you can't.  For
web users, hit the stop and the reload.

Curtis