In message
<dcc302faa9fe5f4bba4dcad4656937791451335...@prvpexvs03.corp.twcable.com>
"Howard, Lee" writes:

> [...]

If you have two uplinks, you shouldn't need to reboot everything your
house to get connectivity back up because hosts and routers are using
a prefix that is no longer globally routable.

> > One thing that would break is any open TCP connections.  The open
> > connections use the already selected address.  This has been a problem
> > for mobility for quite a while but those heavier solution can't be
> > applied to this problem.
>
> TCP is not expected to be resilient to outages.  We're not building a
> carrier network, we're building a home network.  Bounce the
> connection.

No one is suggesting we try to avoid dropping an open TCP connection
on a down transition from the uplink that provided the address the
host is using.

> > Concievably a TCP extension could support alternate source addresses
> > (such as SCTP does).  Until then, a TCP connection can't change
> > addresses.
> >
> > If you switch from one provider uplink to another, you should be able
> > to keep talking to your content provider.  Currently you can't.  For
> > web users, hit the stop and the reload.
>
> Web, p2p, gaming, VPN. . . I'm okay with the session dropping in case
> of failure.

Yes.  This is not a TCP ng WG so we don't try to fix TCP here.

There are cases like two uplinks to the same provider (same /64
prefix) that would work without any effort.  This would be rare in the
home though not unthinkable in a home or small business and not
uncommon in medium and large businesses.

We should make it possible for multihoming scenarios such as this to
work, preferably with no configuration, except at the provider.  For
example, an extension to IA_PD essentially saying "use X/65 which came
from X/64 and has no firewall enabled yet" would allow the provider to
do all the configuration needed to make this workable with zero config
on the customer side.

> Lee

Curtis