On Nov 15, 2012, at 12:27 PM, "STARK, BARBARA H" <bs7...@att.com> wrote:
> The cascaded router scenario (in the tethered single-stack wireless network
> and in my general purpose home network) works today with IPv4. But not with
> IPv6. That's a problem. The /64 is very real in both of those cases, and
> breath-holding or crying about it just doesn't seem to be a very effective
> approach.

Thanks for the long expression of your use case—I think it's a useful example.

I do want to take exception to one thing here, though: cascaded routers do not
work with IPv4.   They work with IPv4+NAT, or with IPv4+bridge.   And "work" is
relative, as your use case story shows.

Chances are that part of the reason you had to go to a multi-homed connection
was that your router configuration was suffering from bufferbloat, and so
despite you having a decent connection to your ISP, you were experiencing
congestion.   This is, unfortunately, very typical of home routers nowadays.

Adding a second entire network for your own private use worked, but it was
probably overkill.   If you are feeling adventurous, you might want to try
setting up a CeroWRT network with properly tuned buffers and see if it changes
things for you.   I can't promise that it does—I'm just a happy user of
CeroWRT, not an expert on bufferbloat.   But the network behavior you are
describing sounds a lot like what I was trying to cure when I installed CeroWRT.

What does this have to do with the homenet discussion?   We should be proposing
a solution that doesn't perpetuate the architecture that leads to bufferbloat.