> Chances are that part of the reason you had to go to a multi-homed
> connection was that your router configuration was suffering from
> bufferbloat, and so despite you having a decent connection to your ISP, you
> were experiencing congestion.   This is, unfortunately, very typical of home
> routers nowadays.

No, my connection to my first ISP is 1.5Mbps downstream. The 2nd connection is
30Mbps downstream. A single Netflix stream had no difficulty taking up the
entire 1.5Mbps. Unfortunately, the technology used to offer the 1.5Mbps service
could only be upgraded to a maximum of 3Mbps. I figured Netflix could probably
overrun that too, so I went with the 2nd connection. I could have just switched
everything to the 2nd connection (my routers haven't had any difficulty with
doing everything asked of them on the 30 Mbps connection -- Netflix users are
very happy and the shrieks from the MMORPG addict mourning death due to lousy
Internet connectivity have stopped), but I like the redundancy of having 2, and
the 1.5 Mbps service is very inexpensive.

> Adding a second entire network for your own private use worked, but it was
> probably overkill.

Not overkill. Just redundant. But I and my family need our Internet. We cannot
live without it. Redundancy is good when it isn't expensive.

> If you are feeling adventurous, you might want to try
> setting up a CeroWRT network with properly tuned buffers and see if it
> changes things for you.   I can't promise that it does-I'm just a happy user
> of
> CeroWRT, not an expert on bufferbloat.   But the network behavior you are
> describing sounds a lot like what I was trying to cure when I installed
> CeroWRT.

Hmm. I'm busy with other adventures right now, and not feeling the need. I'll
keep it in mind, though.

> What does this have to do with the homenet discussion?   We should be
> proposing a solution that doesn't perpetuate the architecture that leads to
> bufferbloat.

/64s are very real, and the need to accommodate them appears to be relatively
near-term. Multi-homing is real. Improved multi-homing experience is desirable,
but not an immediate need.
A diagnosis of bufferbloat sounds difficult to cure (requiring adventures and
acronyms), so I think I'll stick with my state of denial regarding that.
Barbara