On Feb 22, 2013, at 06:16 , Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca> wrote:

> If the ISP with the longest prefix is alive first, then the routers
> pick subnet-id parts that fit into that.  If that ISP has provided
> enough subnets, then even when another ISP comes along, the "xx23"
> part might remain stable for a long time.

This problem is precisely why I campaigned bitterly and vigorously against the
adoption and V6OPS and later the publication of RFC 6177.

When there was still a consensus that subscribers should always get a /48
prefix, it was reasonable to expect that a randomly chosen 16-bit subnet
identifier would be unlikely to collide with another subnet in most
automatically numbered routing domains.  We were also in a position to expect
that when a subscriber adds a new prefix from the same or a different provider,
that all the subnet identifiers in use on one prefix could be mapped 1:1 into
the new prefix.  Now we have RFC 6177, which explodes all of that, for
basically no sensible reason that I can see, and we are all the poorer for it.

Well done, V6OPS, well done.

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
core os networking